Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Holy Breakfast Pizza

RATHER THAN try to explain my penchant for breakfast, I'll just let the ingredients do the talking: veggie bacon strips which I lovingly refer to as fakeon (pronounced fay-ken),  a healthy handful of sliced tomatoes, a grip of fresh flat-leaf parsley, a sprinkling of chives, shallots, and onions, topped with a dusting of Parmesan cheese and... eggs?

Yes, eggs on a pizza. The result? Only one of the best pizzas I have ever had in my life. This recipe kicks all other "breakfast pizzas" to the curbtypically when someone says "breakfast pizza," I envision cold, soggy slices of pizza from the night before, but not this one. Getting a bite of eggs with bacon is sheer genius!



DIRECTIONS

1. Roll dough out into a 12" diameter. You can make your own, or you can buy premade dough (which is what I did).
2. Assemble pizza with thinly sliced onions, shallots, fake bacon, tomatoes, and cheese. You can brush some oil on the top if you're worried about burning.
3. Crack three eggs onto the pizza (You can break the yolk if you prefer,so that the egg isn't concentrated in one area--I definitely like it spread out), and bake at 375° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
4. Remove the pizza from the oven, sprinkling minced chives and parsley on top.

Adapted from The New York Times.

xo,
margaret

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy! please make for me sometime (o:3

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

Holy smacks! This looks ahhhhhmazing! Eggs on pizza for breakfast...so simple, soooo satisfying. Great post, thanks for sharing!

xo-Julie

Haute Khuuture Blog

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm yummy! I've been wanting to try egg on my pizza for a while.