ELEBRATE Cinco de Mayo properly, amigos! And pardon my terrible Español, por favor. ;-) I have an easy recipe for Horchata ice cream so you can get the fiesta started right. I don't have an ice cream maker here currently so I'll be sticking to the traditional drink courtesy of Taco Bell (joking), but I am making this as soon as I get my hands on an ice cream maker.
photo credit: http://www.bojongourmet.com/
Horchata Ice Cream
- 2 1/2 cups medium or long grain rice
- 21/2 cups water
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 can evaporated milk
- 2 egg whites
- Rinse rice, then cover and soak for at least 2 hours.
- Drain rice making sure to reserve 2 cups of the liquid.
- Grind the rice as finely as possible in a blender. Add cinnamon, water and milk until blended.
- Transfer blended mixture to a saucepan and add egg whites. Turn heat on to medium low and whisk constantly until the temperature of the mixture reaches around 110ºF.
- Keep this in the fridge for at least 2 hours before placing in ice cream making machine.
Cheers everyone, eat up. Olé!