Friday, August 6, 2010

Cinco De Mayo

CELEBRATE Cinco de Mayo properly, amigos! And pardon my terrible Español, por favor. ;-) I have an easy recipe for Horchata ice cream so you can get the fiesta started right. I don't have an ice cream maker here currently so I'll be sticking to the traditional drink courtesy of Taco Bell (joking), but I am making this as soon as I get my hands on an ice cream maker. 


photo credit: http://www.bojongourmet.com/


Horchata Ice Cream
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups medium or long grain rice
  • 21/2 cups water
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 can evaporated milk
  • 2 egg whites
Preparation:
  1. Rinse rice, then cover and soak for at least 2 hours.
  2. Drain rice making sure to reserve 2 cups of the liquid.
  3. Grind the rice as finely as possible in a blender. Add cinnamon, water and milk until blended.
  4. Transfer blended mixture to a saucepan and add egg whites. Turn heat on to medium low and whisk constantly until the temperature of the mixture reaches around 110ºF.
  5. Keep this in the fridge for at least 2 hours before placing in ice cream making machine.

Cheers everyone, eat up. Olé!

0 comments: